Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tumblr Tuesday: These are a few of my Favorite Things

And now all my readers have that song stuck in their head after reading the title of this post....*evil grin* (Clueless about the title? Google "song + these are a few of my favorite things" and hopefully you'll understand.)

Anywho "Tumblr Tuesday" is another new feature on my blog where I'll share my finds (or own posts) from Tumblr on the last Tuesday of every month. These posts will be a combination of things I find interesting, cool images, and research for my writing or crafting. Here's the link to my Tumblr site if you'd like to see more of what I post over there. =)

The "theme" of this post is some of my favorite things I have found images of on Tumblr (as the title suggests)...

Image reblogged from MyKindaFairyTalee
 I've loved the story of "Alice in Wonderland" since I was a little kid. I often had day-dreams of finding my own rabbit hole to wander down and explore strange new things. I have a picture book version as well as an edition combined with "Through the Looking Glass". I also have several movies versions of "Alice in Wonderland" including the Disney adaptation on DVD that my father got me for my birthday last year.

Image reblogged from The Only Scout
This parasol is dated from the late 19th century and now housed at the The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I love this parasol for its simplicity of form and the delicate detailing of the black lace. I also have a bit of an obsession with the late 19th century in fashion, literature, and history.

Image reblogged from MyKindaFairyTalee
This antique sewing machine is beautiful! And as a craft-creator and costumer, it should be apparent that I love to sew. When I was much younger, my grandmother tried to teach me how to sew. But that attempt ended with me sewing part of my hand to the fabric I was sewing...and I was using a sewing machine at the time. *OUCH* Needless-to-say, I stayed away from sewing machines for many years until high school when I became involved in theatre and needed to work on costumes. I learned to "correctly" sew in college, but my skills (and love) grow constantly with each new project. My own sewing machine is no where near as pretty as the one above, but it's much more convenient and easier to use.

Image reblogged from MyKindaFairyTalee
I'm combining two of my loves with this image: scrap-booking and fairy tales. I've been obsessed with fairy tales since I was a little kid when my parents got me a giant book of fairy tales. As I got older, my knowledge of fairy tales grew from that book to the Disney movies to the Grimm versions to different versions from around the world to more books and much much more! I "blame" my love of scrap-booking on my mother who is the family photographer (with her super nice cameras) and an avid scrap-booker herself.
Image reblogged from Roni Loren
I love to read and I believe words are magic. They can create new worlds and ideas, sharing them with whoever reads them. Reading and writing have been big parts of my life, even before I could officially read or write. I would often pretend to "read" stories my parents read to me. I would draw pictures and scribble on paper to create my own books. I consider myself a writer, and someday I hope to have my own book to share with the world and create its own magic.

Image reblogged from Doctor Who Official
My favorite TV show is Doctor Who, a British sci-fi show about a time-traveling alien and his often human companions. It was originally a children's show created in the 1960s, but it has grown into so much more over the past several decades. It can be silly and campy one minute, but serious and heartbreaking the next. I love this image in particular because it contains famous lines from the show formed in a way to create the show's iconic symbol of the Doctor's time-machine/space-ship, the TARDIS (Time-And-Relative-Dimension-In-Space).

...and this concludes my first Tumblr Tuesday! I hope you enjoyed this little insight about me and some of my favorite things. (And check out the Tumblr accounts I linked to in the captions of the images I posted.) 

Do you have a tumblr account? Care to share some of your favorite things?

(Elvish Farewell)

No comments:

Post a Comment