Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Dark Days Experience



Last Friday, I went to the Dark Days book tour event here in Austin, TX. (Check out my previous Dark Days "explanation" post here.) I was very excited to meet the authors and hear the discussion panel about their books and writing. I even saw several fellow bloggers there as well: Jen from I Read Banned Books, Stephanie from her blog, Amy & Brittany from The YA Sisterhood, Katie from Mundie Moms, and Magan from Rather Be Reading.  I also meet some new friends that night like Erica (who sat next to me during the event) and several others.

Me & Erica - I love meeting new people!

I got there early (after driving through the crazy traffic and the even-crazier rain), but it wasn't that crowded and I easily found a seat in the middle area. The bookstore held the event up on a little balcony area on the second floor. (I was excited to see a two-story bookstore I must admit!) After finding my seat, I quickly went to buy my copy of Incarnate. *squee* They had all the books displayed on a giant table behind the seating area, so it made it easy to find a copy and head over to the register.

So pretty...
And then the authors came out...

L to R: Courtney Allison Moulton (Wings of the Wicked) & Cynthia Hand (Hallowed)
L to R: Brodi Ashton (Everneath) & Jodi Meadows (Incarnate)
After each author introduced themselves and their books, they took turns reading an excerpt from their books. I always love hearing writers read their work since it's their creation and they know it the best. It makes hearing it more special, I guess. 

They also held a Q & A session with the audience. Several audience members asked great questions about their writing experiences, their writing process, and how it feels to be a published writer. I even mustered up the courage to ask a question about how they found their inspiration (real life, dreams, etc). Each author had a different answer ranging from random images and ideas, asking "what if" questions and building from there, and problems from real life and the situations caused from them. I was even rewarded for my question by some of the authors (who threw candy at me)!

Yummy Sugar!
Then if candy wasn't enough, Cynthia Hand declared she had special prizes for audience members who could answer some tough questions about the boys from her books Unearthly and Hallowed. I got lucky and won a gray beanie hat with the Unearthly book logo on it. (It's featured in the pictures below.) It was a fun little contest and some other audience members won hats as well.

During the actual book signing portion, I was able to get a picture with each of the authors. They were all super nice and I'm so glad I got to meet them. I had a bit of a fan girl moment with each of them. (But I'm a dork like that!)

Jodi Meadows & Me

Me & Brodi Ashton

Me & Cynthia Hand (notice the hat?)

Me & Courtney Allison Moulton
Here's my signed book, signed bookmarks, and other book-related swag I got from the event
I had a fun time and was glad I went! I can't wait to start reading my shiny new book...but I must finish my library books first. *sigh*

(Elvish Farewell)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Great post! I've been thinking...do you want to start a Writer's Group here in Austin? It might take some work to get a schedule down and get people to join but it might be fun. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica! I think that's a fun idea. Scheduling would be the hardest part, but I'm sure we could work something out. =)

      Delete