Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Writing Wednesday: Halloween Edition

Happy Halloween!

I hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday. I will be celebrating it by trick-or-treating with my fiancee, my best friend, and her 5-year-old daughter. (Yes, that's three adults for one small child...it's a tradition.) We're going as Dr. Watson, Sherlock Holmes, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Zombie Little Red Riding Hood. And then it's movie night while eating the candy we gathered. (We are such partyers!) Hope your evening will be just as "entertaining" as ours!
 
Anywho -- on with the show...
 
The last Wednesday of every month I will post a writing exercise prompt. I'll give myself 5 minutes to write a response to said prompt and post it under the prompt. Then I'll invite my readers to do the same and post their responses in the comments. But remember only 5 minutes per prompt (unless otherwise stated).

Since it's that "spooky time" of the year, I thought my writing prompt should reflect that...so I choose a "horror" prompt from "Build Creative Writing Ideas".
 
October 31: "Horror"
"There is a glass scratching sound on your house's windows and you get up out of bed to check it out. You look toward the windows and don't see anything. All of the sudden the glass breaks and something jumps in! What is it and what do you do next?"

My Response:
 
The air rained broken glass as a dark blur flew past me. Shielding my face with my hands, I crouched to avoid the shards. After a moment, I peaked through my fingers to see the chaos before me. My bedroom window smashed and a shivering shadow in the corner near my desk. Carefully I moved towards the light, flipping on the switch to illuminate my curiosity. A scaly creature with luminous green eyes stared back at me. It opened its mouth, showing rows of tiny sharp fangs, but only a small cry let its throat. A small cry of fear, of pain. A bleeding bat-like wing hung at its side. I figured a call to my vet wouldn't cover an injured baby dragon...


What about you? What story can you create?
 
(Elvish Farewell)

No comments:

Post a Comment