Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It Has Begun...

So as I mentioned earlier, I'm participating in NaNoWriMo once again this year. Last year was my first time doing it and I had a lot of fun. I didn't make it to the 50,000 word goal, but I didn't expect to make it, so I was thrilled with hitting about 35,000. This year however I want to make it to the 50K mark...mostly just to see if I can.

To help myself get in the mood to write, I've decided to attend more write-ins this year. The first one of the month (at least for my local area) was a midnight write-in at Dragon's Lair (comic book shop). I enjoyed it, meet some new people, and had a rather productive two hours. I wrote over 2000 words! O.O Woo-hoo! I need to write at least 1666 words a day to finish by November 30th, but I'm shooting for a daily word goal between 1800 - 2000 per day. (That way I can make it to the 50K mark faster and not panic on that last day.) So I'm off to a good start for now...

But I know daily life will end up getting in the way, and I'll most likely miss a day here and there. So to counteract these missed goals, I'm going to try and write more on the weekends when I know I'm off from work. Instead of a 4000 word goal for Saturday and Sunday, I'm going to shoot for a 6000 word goal. It's a built-in "free day" of writing that I plan on using only for emergencies. ;)

Of course, last week when I posted about NaNoWriMo, I still had no idea what I was going to be writing about. I thought about continuing my REN3 stories, fleshing the story and characters into a full novel, but I think I'm going to wait on that. I'm not sure where I want to take that story, so I decided to work on another story that I suddenly had inspired for the other day. (I hear a song that sparked my creativity about a certain character.) It's an idea I've had for a while now, slowing working on the world and its characters. I have the basic concept for the story (a brief synopsis) but the events of the story are hazy. I started working on the outline for it, but didn't get very far. I'm a "plotter" when it comes to writing, but I guess I'll have to try my hand at "pantsing" (at least for the first few days until I figure more things out).

Here's the synopsis thus far:

The most ordinary can often contain the darkest of secrets…

Magdalena Harker has done her best to lead a somewhat invisible life. Part-time library technician and full-time grad student, she prefers to spend her free time working on her literature thesis project forgoing any real social life outside her fantastical world of words. But her seemingly mundane life is turned upside-down when she’s attacked outside of her apartment building after an ill-fated date unexpectedly ends.

Magda awakens hours later to find herself in the bizarre city of Arcandim, a towering metropolis in an alternative dimension of an Earth-like society. In this new world, advanced technology melds with arcane superstitions and the lines between fantasy and reality blur. Nothing is as it seems in this strange land, but Magda manages to find some help in the unlikeliest characters: Adelai Thome, a quick-witted street urchin with a knack for thievery; Cornelius Adamsworth, an old bumbling inventor with sage-like advice; and Marek Fletcher, a charismatic yet eccentric businessman with a shady reputation.

But during the journey to understand her abduction and return home, the young writer discovers mysterious secrets shrouded in darkness and an enlightening path of self-discovery. The peculiar group of improbable heroes must stand together to uncover the truth and restore the lost balance in a dying land. Magda realizes some adventures are worth the risks and some costs are steeper than others, but only she can decide which prices are worth it.

It's still a work-in-progress and that's only the very basic idea behind it. I'll flesh it out more and build on it as the month progresses. I'm sharing this with you in order to keep myself accountable. It's a way to remind myself what my goals and ideas are for this challenge. I'll probably give brief updates throughout the month and write a wrap-up blog in the beginning of December to recap my struggles and trimuphs. :D

Anyone else participating in NaNoWriMo?

~Namárië
(Elvish Farewell)

2 comments: